Thursday, July 10, 2008

Meeting Milt

Milton Kurtz is an amazing scientific mind and has lead a remarkable career, an important part of which we can never talk about. I can say he was known to many as laser man for his work in the field of optics. Milt was bestowed a rare honorary Ph.D. from Cambridge University for his contributions in the field of physics. His work at Spectra Physics lead to the introduction of the bar-code scanner, and his association with Al Shugart (the founder of Seagate Technologies) lead to advancements in optical-based computer storage devices. In my personal experience I have seen him consult on the development of early electron microscopes and on the Floptical disk drive.

Beyond his career, Milt is a husband, a father, a pilot, a gemologist. I call him my friend.

I met Milt in 1979. I was just 25 years old. I hadn’t known him for long, less than a year. I had an important question to ask him, but I was so intimidated and it isn’t every day you ask a father for his daughter’s hand in marriage.

It had all been planned out. I was invited for dinner. At the end of the meal, the girls (June and Kim) were to retire to another room so that I could ask him the question. But as the girls left the room I suddenly developed a lump in my throat, and as each minute ticked by I grew ever more nervous. To call it fear would have put it mildly. I was terrified.

I looked at him, and he at me. Two hours later I found myself still pondering the question. I heard a stir in the other room, probably the girls wondering if I would ever broach the subject. Later they told me they had been listening down the hallway of their Saratoga home the entire time. “I never thought he’d go through with it,” June would later say.

Finally, wrestling with my nerves I mustered the courage to clear my throat. Milt cast a faint smile, and I seized that moment to ask the question.

His face grew serious, and he began to speak in a deliberate way that sent shivers down my spine. “Michael,” he began, “I haven’t known you that long. And I don’t know if you can maintain my daughter in the lifestyle that she’s accustomed to. But I love Kim and I know she loves you. So, I will trust my daughter. But don’t ever hurt my daughter and don’t let her down, or…”

Well after 27 years I’m still here with all of my fingers and toes intact, so I think I’ve done an okay job in that department. The funny thing is I brought this story up to June this week who informed me that I did pretty well that night. Apparently it took Joe five dinners to ask Milt for Kristin’s hand.

But that’s another story!

-- Michael

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Milt,

Dominick and I just finished reading a baseball book that had a good ending. It was about a 14 year old boy, playing in the State Championship game in Florida. The story was about the boy’s relationship, or lack of, with his father, and of his teammates. Short story is that they won the final game. Of the series, his teammate was the hero, but he got what he wanted most, a hug from his dad. I’m sure it left an impression On Dominick how fortunate he is to have a family that loves and nurtures him while teaching him lessons and encouraging him to learn on his own.

So it is with you. A wonderful and living family, a remarkable life. For those of us who have been so fortunate to know you, there is never enough time to ask about the stories you love to tell, or the explanations to questions I don’t even think about around other “normal” people. Every month when I get our Popular Mechanics or Popular Science, I see many things I want to ask you about and have you explain to me the real story of how things work. You are an inspiration to us an we are grateful for the time and attention you have given us. So, for all those times when you ask why we go out of our way to include you and June in our lives, we are the ones receiving, not giving. You are the ones who reached out to befriend us and welcome us to this neighborhood, and we can’t tell you how much that has made a difference in our lives. Dominick loves you both very much and I’m sure he has learned many lessons that he won’t realize he learned until later in life. Thank you for all the attention and caring you have given to him, and to us.

We’re wishing you a speedy recovery from your upcoming treatment. We have many things we still want to learn and look forward to spending that time with you.

Cheryl, Claude , and Dominick 6/8/08

Anonymous said...

Moments

Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God.

-- Grace Kurtz

Anonymous said...

Michael, we want to thank you for being so caring and doing this for Milt and June. He is such a special man, we have so enjoyed knowing him and the knowledge he willingly shared with us. He will certainly be missed in our circle of friends in the aviation community.

We are saddened by his passing, and glad that we were able to make that last visit with him yesterday. We know that he is at rest now with our Heavenly Father. Please let June and the family know how much we care, and will do what we can to help in this time of need.

Sincerely,
Ron & Kay Harmon